Here is a brief list of open data sets that are available in the New York State open data portal that have particular relevance for Upstate municipal governments.
Use these data sets (and others from the state portal to):
- Identify unlicensed or unpermitted businesses or construction activity.
- Identify business that are not in compliance with local zoning ordinances (e.g., areas that are not zoned for commercial activities).
- Validate (or optimize) snow plowing routes, particularly during times of snow or weather related emergencies.
- Generate macro-level indicators of business activity in an city or region.
|Agency||Dataset||Relevant search fields|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Retail Food Stores||entity_name, dba_name, county, city|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Farm Product Dealer Licenses Currently Issued||business_name, trade_name, county, city|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Certified Plant Dealers||trade_name, owner_name, county, city|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Nursery Growers & Greenhouses||operation_name, trade_name, owner_name, county, city|
|Department of State||Active Real Estate Salespersons and Brokers||business_name, business_city, county|
|Department of State||Active Corporations: Beginning 1800||current_entity_name, county, dos_process_city|
|Department of Health||Active Retail Tobacco Vendors||operation_name, city, state|
|Department of Health||Food Service Establishment Inspections||facility, operation_name, local_health_department, county, city|
|Department of Taxation and Finance||Registered Tax Return Preparers and Facilitators||business_name_if_listed_on_registration, city, zip|
|Department of Motor Vehicles||DMV Licensed Facilities 1||facility_name, owner_name, facility_city, facility_county|
|State Liquor Authority||Liquor Authority Quarterly List of Active Licenses||premises_name, doing_business_as_dba, county_name_licensee, city|
|Office of Children and Family Services||Child Care Regulated Programs||facility_name, county, city|
|State Gaming Commission||Lottery retailers||name, city, zip|
There are a host of other data sets availalbe on the state portal (and the state’s Health Data Portal), and more being added every week.
- e.g., car dealers, repair shops, inspection stations, and junk & salvage yards