Here is a brief list of open data sets that are available in the New York State open data portal that have [articular relevance for Upstate municipal governments.
Use these data sets (and others from the state portal to):
- Identify unlicensed or unpermitted businesses or construction activity.
- Identify business that are not in compliance with local zoning ordinances (e.g., areas that are not zoned for commercial activities).
- Validate (or optimize) snow plowing routes, particularly during times of snow or weather related emergencies.
- Generate macro-level indicators of business activity in an city or region.
|Agency||Dataset||Relevant search fields|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Retail Food Stores||entity_name, dba_name, county, city|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Farm Product Dealer Licenses Currently Issued||business_name, trade_name, county, city|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Certified Plant Dealers||trade_name, owner_name, county, city|
|Department of Agriculture and Markets||Nursery Growers & Greenhouses||operation_name, trade_name, owner_name, county, city|
|Department of State||Active Real Estate Salespersons and Brokers||business_name, business_city, county|
|Department of State||Active Corporations: Beginning 1800||current_entity_name, county, dos_process_city|
|Department of Health||Active Retail Tobacco Vendors||operation_name, city, state|
|Department of Health||Food Service Establishment Inspections||facility, operation_name, local_health_department, county, city|
|Department of Taxation and Finance||Registered Tax Return Preparers and Facilitators||business_name_if_listed_on_registration, city, zip|
|Department of Motor Vehicles||DMV Licensed Facilities 1||facility_name, owner_name, facility_city, facility_county|
|State Liquor Authority||Liquor Authority Quarterly List of Active Licenses||premises_name, doing_business_as_dba, county_name_licensee, city|
|Office of Children and Family Services||Child Care Regulated Programs||facility_name, county, city|
|State Gaming Commission||Lottery retailers||name, city, zip|
There are a host of other data sets availalbe on the state portal (and the state’s Health Data Portal), and more being added every week.
- e.g., car dealers, repair shops, inspection stations, and junk & salvage yards